Parking and Vehicles

Parking at PandA

There is no free parking on the UNM campus.

  • You can park in the Cornell parking structure east of the Physics and Astronomy and Interdisciplinary Science building. For rates, please visit Parking and Transportation
  • If you are here as an invited Department guest, and a parking space has been reserved for you, please check at the Physics and Astronomy Department front desk for a temporary pass

University Vehicles

ALL VEHICLES REQUIRE A SPECIAL STATE OF NEW MEXICO OPERATORS PERMIT AS WELL AS YOUR REGULAR STATE OF NEW MEXICO DRIVERS LICENSE. To obtain this permit you must sign up, take, and complete, the Defensive Driving Class at UNM or their acceptable equivalent. These are two four-hour session classes.

When you sign up for the driver classes, you must attend; if you fail to do so without the SHEA specified notice, the department will be charged a $25.00 no-show fee.

Go to

To be allowed to drive a UNM 15 passenger van you must also take two classes for van drivers. You must have the Defensive Driving Operators Permit in-hand before you will be allowed to take the 15 passenger Van classes. The Physics and Astronomy Department no longer has a 15 passenger van, but arrangements for rental can be made through UNM Automotive. There are no exceptions or temporary use permits for this policy.

Signing out a UNM vehicle

All department vehicles must be signed out from our Facilities Service Tech. You must sign out and sign in on the clipboard in this office. You must also fill out the black book for each vehicle with mileages at the start and end of your use. Please request your use of the vehicle by as much time as possible to avoid conflicts of needs.

You must provide the Facilities Services Tech, Steve Portillo, or Gary Harrison, with your driving permit on every occasion of use, since we are responsible for your having your permit with you every time you use one of our vehicles. No exceptions! This includes having both permits when driving a UNM van.